Ireland women defeated by Algarve Cup hosts

Ireland women defeated by Algarve Cup hosts

Portugal hit late winner in Faro...
6th Mar 2012

Women's Algarve Cup

Portugal         2-1     Republic of Ireland

Portugal pinched a late win over the Republic of Ireland in Monday's Algarve Cup game in Faro.

The nations were deadlocked at one goal apiece heading into the final quarter of an hour when impressive Portuguese winger Ana Borges broke through on goal to tuck home the winner past Emma Byrne.

Ireland are in the Algarve to prepare for the resumption of their UEFA Championship qualification campaign on April 5 when they visit to Scotland.

Head Coach Sue Ronan has an extended squad of 25 players with her in Portugal and a variety of personnel and tactical systems have been tried out over the three matches so far at the tournament.

Having lost their opening game last Wednesday to Hungary 1-2, Ireland responded well in the stalemate against Wales.

They fell behind after only seven minutes of this contest. Ana Borges looked a threat from the off and her pace had the Irish scrambling, allowing her to race clear and find the back of the net with a cool finish.

Louise Quinn, one of five players from Peamount United in the Ireland starting line-up, got Ireland back into the game on the half hour mark following a rehearsed set-piece.

Grace Murray floated in a corner kick and there to head home at the back post was her Peamount teammate Quinn.

Aine O'Gorman saw her effort pushed onto the crossbar early in the second half as Ireland pushed forward in search of a lead goal.

They were, however, hit by the clinical Borges on 76 minutes when she got into a good position to pocket her second for the winner.

Ireland will now conclude their tournament by facing Hungary in a play-off on Wednesday, their last friendly before the qualifier in Edinburgh next month.

REP OF IRELAND: E. Byrne (Arsenal); S. Perry (Chelsea), L. Quinn (Peamount United), N. Fahey (Arsenal), G. Murray (Peamount United); D. Gorman (Peamount United), C. Grant (Arsenal), JA Russell (Doncaster Belles); S. Lawlor (Peamount United), M. O'Brien (Chicago Red Eleven), D. O'Sullivan (Cork).

Substitutions: M. Campbell for G. Murray (30 mins), F. O'Sullivan (Soyaux ASJ) for Lawlor, A. O'Gorman (Peamount United) for O'Brien, M. Curtin (Cork) for Gorman (both 46 mins).