Republic of Ireland 1 - 1 Northern Ireland | 2019 - U16 Mens Friendlies | 999945996

Under-16 Mens Friendlies Victory Shield, Wrexham
Friday, November 1, 2019

Republic of Ireland 1 - 1 Northern Ireland

  • Report
  • Preview
  • Lineups
  • Minute by Minute Commentary
  • Statistics

Ireland U16: Ireland end Victory Shield with draw

The Republic of Ireland Under-16 side ended their Victory Shield tournament with a 1-1 draw against Northern Ireland on Friday.
1st Nov 2019

Cian Kelly had given Ireland the lead on 18 minutes with a header but Matthew Carson brought Northern Ireland back into the encounter on the half-hour mark at Colliers Park, Wales.
It was an even contest in the opening 40 minutes with Ireland goalkeeper Aaron Maguire called into action early on. A Northern Ireland free-kick could only be cleared to Bobby Deane whose effort was well kept out by Maguire.
Ireland had their own chance shortly after. Kelly found space down the left and fed it into Tom Lonergan, he laid it off to Jamie Mullins whose 20-yard effort just missed the top left corner.
On 18 minutes, Ireland had the lead their play deserved. Sean Grehan did well on the right and played it to Lonergan who at the second attempt found Kelly to head home past Northern Ireland ‘keeper Alex Henderson.
Ten minutes later, Ireland had a great chance to make it two when Ben Curtis won the ball in midfield. He passed to Mullins who tried to find Kelly but it was cut out before the Bohemians forward could pounce.
Northern Ireland found their way back into the game against the run of play. A strong run by Carson presented him with an opportunity to shoot and his strike found the bottom left-hand corner of the Ireland net.
Just before half time Ireland had an opportunity to restore their lead when Curtis’ effort from the edge of the box was smartly saved by Henderson.
In the second half, Kelly was a constant threat and only the linesman’s flag stopped him from a certain goal from a one-on-one situation.
Ireland continued to push forward for the winner. And they had an appeal for a penalty waved away when Ciaran O’Sullivan’s effort was blocked inside the 18-yard box with Ireland certain it had struck a hand.
Either side could have won it in the closing stages. First Northern Ireland had a great chance to snatch a winner when Elliot Wood’s shot just flash wide of Maguire’s post.
Then, in the final minute, substitute Edwin Agbaje did superbly to beat three players before firing off an effort that drew a great save by Henderson that made sure the game ended all square.
Ireland: Maguire; Ryan, Abankwah (Barrett 63) O’Reilly, Grehan (Agbaje 59); Reilly (C) (Fogarty 59), Curtis; O’Sullivan (Nzingo 74), Mullins (Power 74), Kelly; Lonergan.
Northern Ireland: Henderson, Spencer, Carson, Roney, Hillis, Scannell (Brennan 47), Wilson (C), Donley (Wood 47), Coppack, Deane, Marshall. 
Referee: John Jones