Republic of Ireland 1 - 5 Portugal
Difficult night as Portugal show their class
Portugal 5-1 Republic of Ireland
A nervous start saw Ireland go a goal down just two minutes after kick off when Stephen Ward lost possession in midfield. Valera broke down the wing to dispatch a cross over Richard Keogh and straight to the head of an unmarked Hugo Almeida who scored from close range.
Despite the initial shock to the system, Ireland settled in the period that followed with Wes Hoolahan helping to restore calm thanks to some excellent distribution that allowed both Aiden McGeady and shortly afterwards James McClean to send efforts towards goal.
Cristiano Ronaldo who was playing his first match since the Champions League final was awarded a free kick thirty yards out and shot an effort that was saved only by the post. Calamity struck on 20 minutes when Ireland conceded a second after Richard Keogh put his foot on the end of a Coentrao cross that sailed over Forde and into the Irish net for an own goal. Almeida scored again before half time, picking up Forde’s spilled save from a Ronaldo shot to make it 3-0.
Despite the scoreline Ireland did rally in the second half. Early on, James McClean was put through thanks to a quick Hoolahan free quick. He stepped inside to get his first ever goal for Ireland with a well struck left foot but it provided only temporary respite from Portugal’s attacking flair.
Martin O’Neill chose change things around for the last half hour with Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Stephen Quinn and Anthony Pilkington coming in. Pilkington nearly got on the end of an Aiden McGeady cross in the 70th minute but it was little relief from a dominant Portugal side.
Doyle and Cox were drafted in after 75 minutes with Martin O’Neill deterimined to throw caution to the wind but Ireland were left exposed in the 77th minute when Nani coolly took down a long ball and swept it across goal to find an unmarked Vieirinha whose headed effort was parried away by Forde. Vieirinha made no mistake with the rebound to add to Ireland’s anguish which was compounded shortly afterwards when Coentrao was put through by Nani to close the match out at 5-1.
Ireland: Forde, Kelly (Doyle 76), Keogh, Pearce, Ward (Quinn 67); Hendrick, Meyler; McGeady (Cox 76), Hoolahan (Keane 63), McClean (Pilkington 67); Walters (Long 63).
Portugal: Patricio, Amorim (Veloso 81), Costa, Neto (Pepe 65), Coentrao; Carvalho, Meireles (A Almeida 65), Moutinho; Varela (Vierinha 72), H Almeida (Postiga 65), Ronaldo (Nani 65).
Referee: Baldomero Toledo (USA)
Republic of Ireland
- 12 Rui Patrício (G)
- 20 Rúben Amorim
- 14 Luís Neto
- 13 Ricardo Costa
- 5 Fábio Coentrão
- 6 William Carvalho
- 8 João Moutinho
- 16 Raul Meireles
- 18 Silvestre Varela
- 9 Hugo Almeida
- 7 Cristiano Ronaldo (C)
- 19 André Almeida
- 23 Hélder Postiga
- 17 Nani
- 3 Pepe
- 10 Vieirinha
- 4 Miguel Veloso
- 1 Eduardo (G)
- 2 Bruno Alves
- 11 Éder
- 15 Rafa Silva
- 21 João Pereira
- 22 Beto (G)
Minute by Minute Commentary
- 2" Hugo Almeida (Portugal) scores!
- 20" Richard Keogh (Republic of Ireland) scores an own goal.
- 37" Hugo Almeida (Portugal) scores!
- 52" James McClean (Republic of Ireland) scores!
- 56" James McClean (Republic of Ireland) is cautioned by the referee.
- 63" Robbie Keane (in) - Wes Hoolahan (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 63" Shane Long (in) - Jon Walters (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 65" André Almeida (in) - Raul Meireles (out) (Portugal)
- 65" Hélder Postiga (in) - Hugo Almeida (out) (Portugal)
- 65" Nani (in) - Cristiano Ronaldo (out) (Portugal)
- 65" Pepe (in) - Luís Neto (out) (Portugal)
- 67" Anthony Pilkington (in) - James McClean (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 67" Stephen Quinn (in) - Stephen Ward (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 73" Vieirinha (in) - Silvestre Varela (out) (Portugal)
- 75" Kevin Doyle (in) - Aiden McGeady (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 75" Simon Cox (in) - Stephen Kelly (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 77" Vieirinha (Portugal) scores!
- 80" Alex Pearce (Republic of Ireland) is shown a yellow card.
- 81" Miguel Veloso (in) - Rúben Amorim (out) (Portugal)
- 83" Fábio Coentrão (Portugal) scores!
- Republic of Ireland
Shots on Target
Republic of Ireland
- 2Yellow Card(s)0
- 0Red Card(s)0
- 1Shots on Goal4
- 0Shots Wide0
- 0Shot(s) Blocked0
- 1Total Shots4
- 0Fouls Committed0