RUSTLERS CFAI Cup Finals | Day 2 recap

IT Tralee.jpeg

RUSTLERS CFAI Cup Finals | Day 2 recap

5th Mar 2020



A Matthew Shortt-Doyle early second half goal proved just about enough for IT Tralee to edge past the IT Carlow ‘C’ side and capture the RUSTLERS CFAI Challenge Cup in a highly competitive decider at Athlone Town Stadium.

It was the Kerry side’s first trophy in third level football since they last held the Challenge Cup back in 2010 and this welcome win was a deserved hard fought success in a very entertaining and closely contested final.

A game of few chances was ultimately decided by Shortt-Doyle’s well taken goal that broke the deadlock three minutes after the interval.

Thomas Kearns won possession in the centre of the pitch and he slotted a brilliant pass between central defenders Michael O’Dea and Ciaran King for Shortt- Doyle to run on and steer the ball past goalkeeper Isaac Tallant. 

Carlow might have gone ahead in the opening minutes but Barry O’Driscoll and Leon Doyle were both denied by two brilliant saves from goalkeeper Felim Jacob.

Carlow piled on the pressure after thy went behind and for a period they looked likely to get back on terms.

Only a timely last gasp interception by centre back Sean Dukes kept out Tomiwa Badun before Barry O’Driscoll put his finish wide after Devin Wall-Walshe had headed on a Doyle free kick.

Later King headed over a cross from Aaron McCaffrey while goal keeper Jacob had to be quick off his line to kick clear from outside his box with Wall-Walshe chasing down a through pass.

But Tralee held firm and well marshalled by Lachan McDonald at the back and skipper Dan Kinsella in midfield they went on to claim a famous victory.

It was a double celebration too for Tralee head coach Mark Jacob and his son Felim the sides’s goalkeeper and dad Mark's pride in steering the side to a cup win also coincided with his own birthday.

Man of the Match: Lachan MacDonald (IT Tralee).

IT TRALEE: Felim Jacob; Michael Hudson, Sean Dukes, Lachlan Mac Donald, Cian Lavelle; Dan Kinsella; Dylan Hennebery, Matthew Shortt-Doyle,  Jack Sheehan, Richie Dalton; Thomas Kearns. 

Subs not used: Shane Coffey, Liam O’Connor, Darren Griffin, Jay Kelly, Shane Zukovic, Niall Sheridan, Dwight Basalco.

IT CARLOW C: Isaac Tallant; Leon Doyle, Michael O’Dea, Ciaran King, Luke Fitzpatrick; Eoin Brennan, Nathan Feeney; Barry O’Donnell, Devin Wall-Walshe Jack Simpson; Tomiwa Badun.

Subs: Aaron McCaffrey (for Badun 63), Sheriff Ayeode (for Simpson 75), Alaba Yusuf (for O’Driscoll 84). Not used: Jake Kelly, Darren Cullinane, Eoin Gavin, Pierce Bregazzi.

Referee: Damien Jordan. Assistants: Don Kiernan, Brendan Kelly.



Darragh O’Connor hit a brilliant hat trick and a Luke Murphy goal helped the TU Dublin City Campus ‘C’ side capture their first ever RUSTLERS CFAI Eustace Cup with clear cut 4-0 defeat of IADT Dun Laoghaire in the final at a sun drenched Athlone Town Stadium.

The tall rangy striker grabbed his first goal after 25 minutes when he picked up a long clearance from goalkeeper Mark Devereux to run clear of the Dun Laoghaire defence and fire past a helpless Cormac Quinn.

Minutes later the Dun Laoghaire ‘keeper denied O’Connor a second with a smart save from close range. While David Harris, Dylan Turner and Paul Micheau all went close to an equaliser at the other end.

Another couple of close calls early after the resumption for the Dublin city side saw Jack Kissane and Ian Coone test Devereux as Dun Laoghaire saught to get back into contention but the 'keeper did well to keep out both efforts.

O’Connor then struck for his second coming up to the hour mark with another fine another score.

The Wayside Celtic man fresh from a club game the previous night and with a college exam ahead of him later in the day gained possession just into the Dun Laoghaire half and held off the attention of a couple of defenders to go on and rifle a stunning shot from the edge of the box into the top corner.

Substitute Luke Murphy’s 72nd minute goal stretched the lead before O’Connor rounded off an outstanding Man of the Match performance by competing his hat trick with another finish that although Quinn got a hand to he failed to keep out.

Man of the Match: Darragh O’Connor (TU Dublin City Campus ‘C’).

IADT DUN LAOGHAIRE: Cormac Quinn; Paul Micheau, Jack Matthews, Jack Tonge, Owen Cooney; Ross Broderick, Eoin Flood; David Harris, Ian Coone, Azehy Smko; Dylan Turner.

Subs: Jack Kissane (for Smko 27), Jake Green (for Micheau 55), Daniel Thompson (for Harris 60), Will Gealy (for Flood 70), Michael Ricketts (for Turner 80).Not used: James Byrne, Daire Lynch.

TU DUBLIN CITY CAMPUS C: Mark Devereux; Cian Daly, Dominic Maher, Shane Meehan, Cian Baldwin; Tye Adamson, Kallum Doherty; Tiernan Bah, Kamsiyochukwu Kay Emazie, Goodwin Amponsah; Darragh O’Connor.

Subs: Dylan O’Reilly (for Daly 40), Glenn Coffey (for Doherty 52), Luke Murphy (for Amponsah 58), Babafunmilayo Allen-Taylor (for Bah 78), Hanzi Alkhatib (for Emezie 83).

Referee: Gearoid Kelly Assistants: Damien Jordan, Brendan Kelly.



A four goal first half blitz put Cork IT ‘D’ well on their way to claiming the RUSTLERS CFAI Eustace Shield and despite playing for most of the second half with ten men they added a late fifth goal to completely overwhelm GMIT Mayo 5-0 in the final at Athlone IT.

Oscar Cuenca got the Cork side off to a flyer by grabbing the opening goal in the first minute after goalkeeper Kieran McElhinenny had kept out the initial shot.

Evan Donlon doubled the lead to get his first of the day on 15 minutes and the third goal arrived shortly after when Brian Barry ran on to Donnochadh O’Mahony’s neat through pass to beat McElhinenny.

Donlon then headed in his second goal from a corner on the stroke of half time to leave CIT in a very comfortable position at the break.

A straight red card for skipper Shane Barry three minutes into the second half for an overzealous challenge was a blow for the Cork side but they never looked in any real danger of loosing their grip on the game.

GMIT’s Eanna Barry worked hard up front but he had little joy and Niall O’Leary in the CIT goal was rarely tested.

Substitute Colin McCarthy sealed the win with a late fifth goal to see the Leesiders deservedly take the honours.

Man of the Match: Evan Donlon (Cork IT ‘D’).

GMIT MAYO: Kieran McElhinney; Sean Donohoe, Sean Tuffy, Aidan Connolly, Zachary Coyne; Cain O’Hara, Sean McGovern; Shane Donoghue, Brian Colleran, Bassit Sannt; Eanna Barry.

Subs:  Adam Boal-Quinn (for Donohoe h-t), Keehinde Tibetan (for Sanni 70), Emmedt Byrne (for Colleran 78). Not used: Seanie Boyle.

CORK IT D: Niall O’Leary; Frank Herr, Tadgh Shanahan, Jamie Copps, Aidan Murphy; Shane Barry, Evan Donlon; Brian Barry, Donnochadh O’Mahony, Alec Laurent; Oscar Cuenca.

Subs: Colin McCarthy (for Laurent 49), Dylan Flynn (for B Barry 75), Rory Buckley (for Cuenca 79), Sean Foley O’Brien (for Donlon 80), Anthony Moynihan (for O’Mahony 86).

Referee: Allan Dunne. Assistants: Ray Conlon, Ultan Beaumount.