ROUND-UP: Dundalk triumph as Galway need penalties


ROUND-UP: Dundalk triumph as Galway need penalties

Dundalk cruised into the second round of the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup with an impressive 4-0 win over Derry City whilst Galway United needed penalties to get past Killester United.
14th Aug 2017

Dundalk 4-0 Derry City

A brace from John Mountney a penalty from David McMillan and a great individual goal from Michael Duffy secured Dundalk's passage to the next round of the FAI at Oriel Park, the Candystripes would be ruing missed chances in what was an entertaining match.

The game was barely started when the hosts were ahead. A brilliant through ball by Patrick McEleney was sent into the path of Sean Gannon whose right sided cross was tapped in by John Mountney to open the scoring.

Dundalk continued to press for a second with Michael Duffy having five attempts on goal in succession all of which evaded the back of the net, The highlight of those coming on the 27th minute when we hit the post with a curling effort from a free kick which smashed off the upright with Doherty left stranded.

Dundalk did have a big let off when Ronan Curtis' curling free kick just went over the bar which silenced the home crowd. The second half continued as the first with Dundalk pressing on the front foot and got their second after a scramble in the box from a corner, McMillan was fouled and the referee pointed to the spot.

The Dundalk hit man smashed it to the roof of the net to extend Dundalk's lead. As the game wore on Dundalk continued to press and got rewards with a long range effort from Mountney flew past Doherty to give Dundalk's third on the night.

The goals were not finished when right on the stroke of full time if there was a player who deserved a goal it was Michael Duffy, he worked tirelessly all day with a brilliant run and finish from the man of the match. This was the kind of performance that Dundalk fans craved for to start their cup run. They will only focus on one game at a time but Stephen Kenny will have his sights set on the Aviva as a goal this season.

Portmarnock 0-2 St. Patrick's Athletic

Portmarnock pushed SSE Airtricity League Premier Division side St. Patrick's Athletic all the way as Pats secured their spot in the second round.

The non-league side battled all the way with Pats in front of a good crowd at Paddy's Hill in the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup.

Christy Fagan put Pats ahead in the final minute of the first-half and Kurtis Byrne secured the win for Liam Buckley's side three minutes from time.  

Killester United 3-3 Galway United (6-7 pens)

Killester United almost provided a FAI Cup giant-killing but SSE Airtricity League Premier Division side Galway United prevailed on penalties.

It was an incredible game which started brilliantly for Killester after Stephen Chambers fired home when the Galway failed to deal with a long throw in the first minute.

Killester kept Galway out and could have been 2-0 up in the 13th minute after a goal-mouth scramble and the Premier Division side luckily scrambled the ball away on the line.

Shane Keegan's side grew into the game and finally equalised in the 72nd minute after Jonah Ayunga was fouled in the area and Ronan Murray stepped up to slot home.

The Tribesmen went ahead six minutes later as Ayunga headed the ball down for Murray to find the net from close range. However, Killester wouldn't lie down and levelled five minutes later as Lenny McMillan headed home from a free-kick. 

In a pulsating final 15 minutes of the game, Murray notched his hat-trick with two minutes remaining as his 30-yard free-kick found the top corner. 

But once again, Killester levelled. Chambers scored in the first minute of the game and had to wait a full 90 minutes to get a brace as he scored in injury time.

Extra-time failed to find a winner with chances for either side so the game was decided by penalties. Ayunga found the winning touch for Galway as his penalty secured a second round spot in the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup, Galway winning 7-6 on penalties.

Evergreen 0-4 Drogheda United

Drogheda United made sure of their place in round two of the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup with a solid performance against Kilkenny junior side Evergreen.

The SSE Airtricity League’s Premier Division side delivered a late charge which saw them stifle the city side and leave the Kells Road with a solid win.

Drogheda were quick to stamp their authority on the game, taking just eight minutes to go in front. Chris Mulhall broke the deadlock, timing his run to latch on to Conor Kane’s clever pass before slipping the ball past netminder Philly Johnston.

With Evergreen pressing for an equaliser, United struck on the counter and doubled their lead with less than 20 minutes to play. Sub Ryan Masterson was barely on the pitch when he chased down a long clearance and, with his first touch, lofted the ball over the advancing Johnston.

Drogheda were in full flight at that stage, and made it 3-0 when Mulhall grabbed his second goal nine minutes from time. Johnston did well to parry Masterson’s venomous shot from point-blank range, but could do little to prevent Mullally from gleefully turning the rebound home.

Pete Mahon’s side finished with a flourish and made sure of their place in the second round when sub Mark Doyle powerfully headed home from an Adam Wixted corner four minutes from time.

Bluebell United 3-0 Sheriff YC

Bluebell United cruised into the second round of the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup after a convincing 3-0 win over Sheriff YC.

A first-half brace from Gary Seery saw Bluebell comfortably ahead at the break in the 12pm kick-off at the Iveagh Grounds.

Bluebell sealed their place in the second round of the cup thanks to a second-half penalty Dean Ebbe in the 57th minute. 

The second round draw will take place tonight on Soccer Republic on RTE Player with the show beginning at 6.30pm.