Results 2008/2009

Results 2008/2009

16th Jan 2009

The draw for the first two rounds of the FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup for the 2008/’09 season were made on a regional basis.

The holders, Rockmount of Cork, were favoured with a bye in the first round.

Last season’s beaten finalists, Douglas Hall of Cork, were given a very tough first round tie.

They were drawn to play away from home against Avondale United who won the Cup in 2005/’06 and 2006/’07 and suffered a 3-1 defeat.

In Leinster a surprise in the first round was the defeat of Wayside Celtic. Wayside won the Cup in 2004/’05 but went out when they lost to Mount Merrion 4-5 in a penalty shoot-out.

The first round matches were played off in three provincial sections.

FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup 2008/’09 Season

FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup 2008/’09 Season 
Third round Results

1 Mayfield United FC   2-1   Bangor Celtic FC
2 Bluebell United FC   1-1   Postal United FC
3 Broadford Rovers FC   1-1   Carrigaline United FC
4 Drumcondra AFC   0-2   UCD AFC
5 Ballincollig AFC   1-2   Glenmore Dundrum FC
6 Lissadel United FC   1-1   Fanad United FC 
2-2  (AET)
Penalties, Fanad Utd. 4-3 Lissadell Utd.
7 St. Mary’s AFC   1-1   Leixlip United FC
8 Rockmount AFC   2-1   Drumkeen United FC
9 Cherry Orchard FC 2-1 Rathcoole Boys FC 
10 Blarney United FC   4-1   Dublin Bus FC
11 Malahide United FC   1-1   Garryduff FC
12 Lakewood Athletic FC   1-1   Ringmahon Rangers AFC
13 Crumlin United FC   5-1   Everton AFC
14 Fermoy AFC   1-4   Newtown Rangers AFC
15 Arklow Town AFC   2-0   Mount Merrion FC
16 St. Mochtas FC   1-4   Kildrum Tigers FC
Fixtures played week-ending 7TH December 2008

FAI Umbro Intemediate Cup 2008/’09
Fourth Round






Fanad United FC


Newtown Rangers AFC


Rockmount AFC


Mayfield United FC


Blarney United FC


Carrigaline United FC


Ringmahon Rangers FC




Malahide United FC


St. Mary’s AFC


Crumlin United FC - (Crumlin awarded the tie after protest)


Arklow Town FC


Bluebell United FC


Kildrum Tigers FC


Cherry Orchard FC


Glenmore Dundrum FC



The holders of the FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup, Rockmount,  successfully overcame the challenge of local rivals from Cork, Mayfield, in the fourth round by 3-0. After beating Drumkeen United in the third round, Rockmount have shown they will be favoured by many to retain the trophy. The quarter-final draw handed them another Cork derby and they were pushed hard before beating Blarney United 1-0 on the week-end of March 1, 2009.

The match between Newtown Rangers and Bluebell United finished level 2-2 and Bluebell went on to win the replay 3-0.

FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup 2008/09






Newtown Rangers AFC

0-3 replay

Bluebell United FC


Malahide United FC


Cherry Orchard FC


Crumlin United FC


Ringmahon Rangers AFC


Rockmount AFC


Blarney United FC


FAI Umbro Intermediate Challenge Cup 2008/’09


The draw for the semi-finals decreed that Malahide United and Crumlin United will contest an all-Dublin tie while Rockmount will travel to either Bluebell who overcame Newtown Rangers in a replay of their quarter-final.

The draw also decided that the venue for the final of the prestigious competition will take place in Dublin (venue to be announced) with either Malahide or Crumlin gaining home advantage.

FAI UMBRO Intermediate Cup 2008/2009 - Semi Finals

Malahide United   0 - 1   Crumlin United
Bluebell FC   1 - 0   Rockmount

Fixtures played weekending 5th April 2009

Bluebell United defeat the holders

Rockmount’s hold on the trophy was broken by Bluebell United, who played extremely well to beat last year’s winners 1-0 in the semi-final.

Bluebell had to overcome the loss of a player who was red-carded when the match was still scoreless. A goal from John Cleary gave them the encouragement they needed to defy the Rockmount attack and ensure that the final would be an all-Dublin affair.

Crumlin United had to overcome a determined Malahide United to ensure they reached the final for the first time in their history and again only one goal separated the teams.

The goal was scored by Thomas Fahy and Crumlin confirmed their consistent form this season by ensuring it was enough to set up an all-Dublin final.

The FAI decided that the final will be played at the new stadium in Tallaght on May 10 and the match will kick-off at 3.00 pm.

FAI UMBRO Intermediate Cup 2008/2009


Crumlin United   3-2   Bluebell United
Tony Griffiths 17          Peter Sherlock 28
Gavin Quinn 44           Ciaran Quinn 86
Derek Griffin 76

Martin Loughran’s Crumlin United, today claimed the 2008/09 FAI Intermediate Challenge Cup today in a thrilling 3-2 victory over Bluebell United at the Tallaght Stadium. Crumlin had to endure a late onslaught from Bluebell in the closing stages but they hung on to claim their first ever FAI Intermediate Cup title.
Bluebell had the first real chance of the game after 15 minutes when a corner from Glen Keddy was flicked on to the back-post by Alan O’Duffy but Peter Sherlock headed his effort over the bar from 5 yards out.

Crumlin took the lead two minutes later after 17 minutes through striker Tony Griffiths when a clever ball from Crumlin’s midfield found Stephen Larkin on the right wing and his clever first-time pass was directed to Griffiths who applied a neat finish past Mark Clohessy from six yards.

Bluebell equalised after 28 minutes when a corner from Glen Keddy caused mayhem in Crumlin’s box and the breaking ball fell to Peter Sherlock who hammered his effort into the back of the net from eight yards.

Martin Loughran’s Crumlin side regained the lead on the stroke of half-time, when Gavin Quinn pounced on a wayward shot from James Lee in the box, Quinn’s first attempt was blocked but he made no mistake with his second effort as he blasted it into the net after 44 minutes.

Stephen Larkin almost doubled Crumlin’s lead with an hour on the clock, he ran onto a high ball behind Bluebell’s defence and as he powerfully held off his defender, his shot from 18 yards went agonisingly over the bar.

Crumlin United captain, Derek Griffin, scored his side’s third goal in the 76th minute; after a long period of sustained pressure in their opponents’ half, the defender was on hand to power his effort into the back of the net from seven yards out as Bluebell failed to clear the ball in the box.

Bluebell almost grabbed a goal back with ten minutes remaining as Ciaran Quinn blasted his freekick from the edge of the box towards the left hand bottom corner but Garreth Sutton in Crumlin’s goal saved well and knocked the ball out for a corner.
Quinn gave his side a glimmer of hope with an unbelievable strike after 86 minutes, the Crumlin defence only cleared a Bluebell cross as far as Quinn and his powerful volley from 20 yards nestled in the top left hand corner, giving Gareth Sutton no chance in goal.

Crumlin endured a late rally from Bluebell United in the closing minutes but they hung on to claim their first FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup title in the club’s history.

Crumlin United: Garreth Sutton, Gavin Kavanagh, Derek Griffin (C), Ciaran Kenna, Paul McCabe, Martin Cramer, Stephen Larkin, James Lee, Daniel Loughran, Tony Griffiths, Gavin Quinn

Substitutes: Robert Douglas (on for Loughran), Chris McCreevey, Eoin Lanigan, Mark Sullivan, Thomas Fahey, Shane Carlisle, Craig Hyland
Coach: Martin Loughran

Bluebell United: Mark Clohessy, Darragh Kileen, Stuart Smith, Andrew Cleary, Niall Donnelly, John Cleary (C), Darragh Hollingsworth, Glen Keddy, Ciaran Quinn, Peter Sherlock, Alan O’Duffy

Substitutes: Gerard Bambrick (on for Smith), Graham Dunning (on for Cleary), Paul Loughran, Paul Connaughton, Kevin Smith, Alan Behan, Keith Gallagher.
Coach: Liam Reilly.