Late goals sweep Cork City into semis

John O'Flynn (Cork City).jpg

Late goals sweep Cork City into semis

Cork City 3 Derry City 0 - Second half goals from Ross Gaynor, Garry Buckley and John O’Flynn swept Cork City into the semi-finals of the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup after a 3-0 replay win over Derry City at Turner’s Cross.
14th Sep 2015

Cork made one change with skipper Johnny Dunleavy coming in for Alan Bennett while Peter Hutton made four changes in all from Friday’s drawn game at the Brandywell.

The Candy Stripes changes saw Mark Quigley, Stephen Dooley, Mark Timlin and Ben McLaughlin all making way for Aaron McEneff, Ryan Curran, Cillian Morrison and midfielder Philip Lowry who was back from a three match ban for this replay.

Cork had the better of the first half and created the better chances in a goalless opening 45 as Garry Buckley, Mark O’Sullivan, Mike McSweeney and O’Sullivan again were all off target.

O’Sullivan had a header cleared off the line by Dean Jarvis after 20 minutes play and then McSweeney on the overlap lifted another good chance over after Dan Murray’s cross-field ball picked him out.

Ger Doherty saved another O’Sullivan effort on goal but at the other end Mark McNulty had little or nothing to do.

The last action of the half saw O’Sullivan head over from McSweeney’s delivery on 45 minutes with Cork 5-2 ahead on the corner count.

Cork eventually broke the deadlock with 16 minutes to go when Gaynor netted a beauty with a 30 yard volley. Buckley headed in the second four minutes later and then John O’Flynn notched the third three minutes from the end.

Derry, who had Conor McCormack and Ciaran O’Connor cup-tied, are back in Cork on Friday week for a league fixture

Cork City: McNulty; McSweeney, Murray (Bennett 75), D. Dennehy, Gaynor; Miller, Dunleavy (capt); Sheppard (O'Connor 87), Buckley, B. Dennehy; O’Sullivan (O'Flynn 75). Unused Subs: Holohan, Morrissey, Kearney and Smith.

Derry City: Doherty; Cornwall, McBride (capt) (McLaughlin 75), Barry, Jarvis; Lowry; Curran (Timlin 61), McEneff (Dooley 61), McNamee, McEleney; Morrison.
Unused Subs: Daniels, McClean, Curtis & Patton.

Referee: Derek Tomney.