Fixtures & Results 2005

Fixtures & Results 2005

16th Jan 2009
2005 EIRCOM League of Ireland Cup Final.

UCD 1 - 2 Derry City
Byrne 43 Murphy 14, McWalter (o.g.) 43

Derry City are on course for the elusive domestic treble of Premier Division title, FAI Carlsberg Cup and eircom league Cup as they stretched their unbeaten run to 21 games at Belfield Park.

Their eircom League Cup final victory over UCD at a packed Belfield was the first part of that elusive treble and probably just about deserved.

Now Derry can celebrate a trophy in their 20th season since joining the then League of Ireland.

They made the perfect start and Stephen Kenny’s men had their delighted fans celebrating at the final whistle. Not alone did Derry pick up the first silverware of the domestic season, they also picked up the winner’s cheque of €15,000 and qualified automatically for next season’s money-spinning eight team North-South Setanta Cup.

But there must be real sympathy for a battling young UCD side who matched their opponents in most departments only to be eventually beaten by a tragic 43rd minute own goal by the unfortunate Pat McWalter.

Perhaps against the run of play Derry went ahead after 14 minutes when an attempted Gary Dicker midfield pass was blocked. That allowed Alan Murphy to charge forward and send in a superb angled shot from 20 yards past ’keeper Darren Quigley.

But UCD were full value for their equaliser on 40 minutes. Clive Delaney, who had been booked earlier on, misdirected a clearance after long ball from the always dangerous Stephen Hurley. Striker Conan Byrne made no mistake when turning to shoot past the retreating David Forde from the edge of the box.

But disaster struck UCD just three minutes later when winger McWalter had the misfortune to cannon the ball into his own net from 16 yards when attempting to cut out a pass from Brennan to striker Mark Farren.

Derry were living dangerously when UCD substitute Robbie Martin crossed from the left on 73 minutes only for Sean Hargan to blaze the ball over his own bar from two yards under pressure from Byrne.

Late on Gareth McGlynn went close to making victory certain for Derry when he rounded two defenders only to be denied by a diving save by the alert Quigley.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, McDonnell, Shorthall, O’Donnell; Gannon (Dupuy 89), Hurley, Dicker, McWalter (Kenna 82); Byrne, Anto Murphy (Martin 60).

Derry City - Forde; Deery, Hutton, Delaney, Hargan; McGlynn, Alan Murphy (McCourt 82), Molloy, Brennan; Beckett, Farren (Martyn 72).

Referee - Damien Hancock (Dublin).