FAI CUP: Doherty puts Derry into the quarter-finals


FAI CUP: Doherty puts Derry into the quarter-finals

SSE Airtricity League Premier Division side Derry City advanced to the quarter-finals of the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup in dramatic circumstances at the Brandywell Stadium.
24th Aug 2018

In the tie of the round, the Candystripes secured an incredible victory over St. Patrick's Athletic thanks to Adrian Delap's late strike. The drama continued into the final minute of the game as Gerard Doherty pulled off an incredible 95th-penalty save to ensure Derry's progression.

There was extra-time heart-break for non-league side CIE Ranch who pushed First Division leaders UCD all the way at Greenogue. An own goal and an Edward Smith header put CIE into a two-goal lead before Yoyo Mahdy pulled one back before the break. 

Just as it looked like ten-men CIE would hold out, Jason McClelland struck in the 88th minute to force extra-time. The extra man began to tell and the Students secured their passage with four goals in extra-time. Sean McDonald, McClelland Gary O'Neill and Mahdy all scored to secure the 6-2 victory.

Bohemians enjoyed an impressive victory against SSE Airtricity League First Division side Galway United at Eamonn Deacy Park. Darragh Leahy scored early on before Eoghan Stokes added a second to secure a comfortable victory for the Premier Division club. 

Waterford are also in the hat for the quarter-finals thanks to an early goal from Bastien Hery. Hery's 25-yard effort was enough to see Alan Reynolds' side past Drogheda United, who had knocked out Shamrock Rovers in the first round. 

Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup Champions Cork City continued their defence with a comfortable victory over Maynooth University Town. Goals from Aaron Barry, Kieran Sadlier, Josh O'Hanlon and Ronan Coughlan sealed a 4-0 victory at Turner's Cross.

Dundalk secured a comfortable victory over SSE Airtricity League First Division side Finn Harps at Oriel Park. Goals from Ronan Murray and Georgie Kelly either side of the break sealed the win with Finn Harps boss Ollie Horgan sent to the stands during the second-half. 

Finally, Limerick put their name in the quarter-final hat despite a late Cabinteely rally at the Markets Field. Goals from Connor Ellis and Barry Maguire were enough to see the Shannonsiders through despite a late Kevin Knight strike.

On Saturday, Longford Town sealed the final Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup quarter-final spot with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Shelbourne. Goals from Dylan McGlade (pen) and Daniel O'Reilly sealed De Town's passage to the next round at the City Calling Stadium.

For full match reports from all of the second round ties this evening, head to sseairtricityleague.ie for the in-depth coverage from around the grounds. 

Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup - Second Round Results

Friday, August 24

CIE Ranch 2-6 UCD (AET)
Cork City 4-0 Maynooth University Town
Derry City 1-0 St. Patrick's Athletic
Drogheda United 0-1 Waterford
Dundalk 2-0 Finn Harps
Galway United 0-2 Bohemians
Limerick 2-1 Cabinteely 

Saturday, August 25

Longford Town 2-0 Shelbourne