DCU win Collingwood Cup for first time

DCU Collingwood

DCU win Collingwood Cup for first time

History was made at Dalymount Park on Wednesday evening when DCU captured the Irish Universities Collingwood Cup for the first time in the 100th staging of the competition.
5th Feb 2020

The Dubliners came out on top 4-1 in the penalty shootout when a tense decider against Ulster University that failed to produce a single goal following 20-minutes of extra time.

Neither side who were playing their third game in as many days managed to end the stalemate with chances few and far between.

DCU striker Jack O’Connor had the best of them in the closing minutes of the first half after he got past Nathan Best and Stephen Cairns and cut into the box from the left but after he rounded goalkeeper Matty McClurg his goal bound effort was taken off the line by full back Owen McConville.

Earlier, Dylan Connolly might have put DCU in front but after he was set up by Sean McCarthy’s low cross his finish was well off target.

The northern side looked stronger in midfield with Marc McKenna and Niall McGinley impressive while a couple of Craig Taylor free kicks tested DCU ‘keeper Imrich Toth but he did well to keep them out and McKenna was inches past the post with a cracking drive.

The pace noticeably slackened after the break and apart from another Connolly effort that cleared McClurg’s cross bar and a Taylor free neither side looked likely to come up with a winner.

Even extra time remained scoreless and DCU proved the more accurate from the penalty spot with David Mugulu, Tristan Noach Hofmann, Sean McCarthy and Jack O’Connor all beating McClurg to finally take the famous trophy to the Glasnevin university for the first time ever.
Player of the Tournament: Eric Whelan (DCU)

DCU: I Toth; R Smith, P Kelly, E Whelan, T Noach Hofmann; S Cronin, A Connolly (J Rice 99); S Trimble (D Mugalu 79), J O’Sullivan (D Sexton 59), S McCarthy, J O’Connor.

Ulster University: M McClurg; S Cairns, M Greenfield, O McConville. C Taylor; M McKenna, N McGinley; N Best (R Weatherhead 77), R Wilson, N Maciulaitis; N Beta. 

Referee: Owen Murphy (Dublin)