Bray's cup run continues

Bray celebrate.jpg

Bray's cup run continues

Bray Wanderers 2 Killester United 0 - Bray reached the semi-finals of the FAI Cup for the first time since 2009 as they overcame Leinster Senior League side Killester United.
11th Sep 2015

At a rain swept Carlisle Grounds, goals in half by Hugh Douglas and Dave Scully booked their passage into the final four.

Having beaten Dunboyne AFC (3-0), Cobh Ramblers (3-0) and Tolka Rovers (4-0) to get to the last eight, United conceded their first goal in the competitions after just seven minutes.

Striker Chris Lyons saw his drive blocked out from the corner. From Ryan McEvoy’s delivery, defender Douglas timed his run to power in a front post header.

Wanderers’ centre half Alan McNally went close to notching a second in the 25th minute with a guided header off  McEvoy’s free-kick

Yet the away side almost equalised within seconds.Skipper Michael Keogh placed effort host the foot of the post with Irish Amateur international David Lacey’s follow-up smothered by Peter Cherrie.

But the non-League outfit were unlucky not get back on level terms eight minutes before the interval. Keogh slipped Lacey through only for Cherrie to make a vital block with his legs at the expense of a corner.

Seagulls full-back Michael Barker was first to threaten in the second period. He burst from his own half in the 52nd minute and blasted just off target from 30-yards.

Within moments, Killester should have levelled matters. But, from ten-yards, Alan Talbot ballooned over the bar after being set-up by Lacey.

They were left to rue that miss as the Wicklow club doubled their advantage in the 57th minute. Cherrie launched a long kick down the left channel to the breaking David Cassidy. He cut-back and lofted in a hanging cross which Scully met the flight off to steer in a back post header.

With the shackles off, Bray went in search of a third. They almost got it in the 69th minute when Lyons crashed a 20-yard shot off the cross-bar.

With eight minutes remaining, United stopper Keith Donoghue got down well to smother Peter McGlynn’s low drive.

In injury time, the away custodian tipped over Cassidy's deft lofted volley. He then thwarted sub Emeka Onwubiko with a one hand stop.

Bray Wanderers: Cherrie; Barker, Cooney, McNally, Barker; McGlynn, Cassidy, McEvoy, Graham Kelly, Scully (Onwubiko 83), Lyons (Wixted 89).

Killester United: Donoghue; Kavanagh, Michael Kelly (Matthews 73), McCormack, Chambers (Mooney 79), Browning, O’Reilly, Talbot (Lee 68), Keogh; Lacey.

Referee: Ben Connolly.