Bohs excel to win EA Sports Cup final

Bohs excel to win EA Sports Cup final

Waterford United 1- 3 Bohemians Kenny Browne 79       Killian Brennan 8, 30 pen,                                    Neale Fenn
26th Sep 2009

Waterford United 1- 3 Bohemians
Kenny Browne 79       Killian Brennan 8, 30 pen,
                                   Neale Fenn

Bohemians clinched the EA SPORTS Cup for the first time in 30 years
thanks to three first half goals at the RSC.

And despite their incredibly successful partnership at Shelbourne and at their current club, for manager Pat Fenlon and captain Owen Heary the win marked their first success in the competition.

Fenlon opted to field a strong line up despite their congested fixture list and the Division One side couldn’t live with the Premier champions who swept them aside in a strong opening half performance.

With a bumper crowd of 3,000 present it took just eight minutes for the Gypsies to open the scoring as John Kearney was adjudged to have handled the ball on the edge of the box, allowing Killian Brennan to curl an inch perfect free kick that Michael Devine couldn’t keep out.

Firmly in control, Bohs used their physical presence and passing ability to keep the ball for large periods and they struck for a second on the half hour mark.

Joseph Ndo found Marc Hughes in the area and he took a touch before Kevin Murray clumsily bundled the young striker over giving Derek Tomney no choice but to point to the spot.

And up stepped Brennan to slot home the penalty for his second goal of the final and give United an uphill battle.

Brennan could have had a hat trick but his dipping volley was comfortably dealt with by Devine before Neale Fenn made it three.

The former Waterford striker’s shot did move in the air, but Devine will be disappointed that he didn’t keep it out as his parry flew into the net.

United had two half chances before the break as Graham Cummins and Willie John Kiely missed headers, but they couldn’t make break through the Bohs defence for much of the second half.

Having not had a save to make for the entire game, Waterford native Brian Murphy fumbled John Kearney’s deep cross allowing Cummins to square to Kenny Browne who tapped home with eleven minutes remaining.

And suddenly the locals were causing problems, as Murphy was forced to save from sub Paul Walsh before Cummins launched a drive over the bar.
But Bohs held on comfortably to take the trophy.

Bohemians: B. Murphy; Heary, Shelley, Oman, Powell; Ndo (A Murphy 71), Keegan (McEvoy 78), Cronin, Brennan; Fenn (Crowe 86), Hughes.

Waterford United: Devine; Carey, Browne, Murray, Long (Waters 69); Sullivan, Warren (Walsh 69), Grant, Kearney, Kiely; Cummins.

Referee: Mr. D. Tomney (Dublin).