Ballincollig win FAI Umbro Youth Cup Final

Ballincollig win FAI Youth Cup.jpg

Ballincollig win FAI Umbro Youth Cup Final

Ballincollig captured the FAI Umbro Youth Cup Final after a thrilling encounter with Ringmahon Rangers at Turner's Cross.
1st May 2016

Ringmahon Rangers 1-3 Ballincollig

In what was a historic all Cork FAI Youths Cup final, played on the immaculate surface in Turners Cross, it was Ballincollig who emerged as the victors in a cracking game of football . The game most certainly lived up to expectations that is for sure.

Given that a large number of Cork’s Youth Inter League squad came from both of these sides, this was always going to be an eagerly awaited and a cracking contest and it most certainly delivered as a spectacle. Both sides like to play an attacking brand of football and this meant that those in attendance were always going to be entertained.

Ringmahon made a rip roaring start to the contest, with the ever reliable Jordan O’Regan going close before Evan O’Brian’s shot rattled the post in the opening minutes. The game was played at a lighting quick pace early on.

Ballincollig also set their stall out in the early stages and it was them who took the lead in the 15th minute. Following a corner kick on the right by Shay Daly, Ronan Barrett’s excellent headed effort found the top left hand corner of the net.

Ringmahon reacted with the never say die attitude they always possess and in the 25th minute, they had a great chance to level, but Christopher Hull’s effort went just over the bar from inside the box.

With 27 minutes on the clock, Ringmahon levelled things up, when Troy O’Sullivan’s glancing header went in via the post. O’Sullivan is a solid centre back, who was captain of the Ireland U18 side against Wales in Waterford recently.

Ballincollig had a great chance to go in at the break ahead through Darren Murphy, but Robbie O’Leary saved well. But as the first half concluded, this cracking contest was on a knife edge.

Early in the second half, Hull headed wide for Ringmahon before Ballincollig’s Whelan was denied by an excellent save by O’Leary.

Just as though it looked like Ringmahon were getting on top, up stepped that man Whelan to slot Ballincollig in front.

Ringmahon applied the pressure for the late stages, with Kearney unable to get a vital touch on a great ball in by Dalton.

Ballincollig needed another goal to ensure victory and they got it through Darren Murphy on the counter attack, as he rounded O’Leary and neatly finished home to spark wild celebrations .

Ringmahon Rangers: Robbie O’Leary; Aaron Quilligan, Mark O’Callaghan, Troy O’Sullivan, Aaron Ahern; Evan O’Brien; Christopher Hull, David Hurley, Gordon O’Meara, Ciaran Kearney; Jordan O’Regan.

Subs: David Dalton for O’Meara 62 , Cameron Harlson for O’Callaghan 85. Cillian Farmer, Caoilte Hayes , Jack McCarthy, Keelyn Cotter (not used).

Ballincollig: Shane Hogan, Shane Dunne, Evan Kenefick, Jordan O’Connor, Stephen Keane; Shay Daly; Finonan O’Donovan, Matthew Whelan, Kevin Crowley, Ronan Barrett; Darren Murphy.

Subs: David Courtney for Dunne 70 , Mark Walsh for Barrett 79,Darren Forde for O’Donovan 89 , Daire O’Leary, Tony Hogan, Nathan O’Callaghan, Eoghan Curran (not used).

Referee: Kevin O’Sullivan.

REPORT By John O’Shea