New era kicks off as FAI National Training Centre opens
Members of the national media assembled at pitch-side to watch Martin O'Neill's team take in their first training session ahead of the UEFA European Championship qualifiers against Gibraltar in Faro, Portugal and Georgia in Aviva Stadium.
Sue Ronan's women's senior team had previously used the pitch, which is one of six in the new facility, and it will act as the new home of the men's senior team after many years based in Gannon Park, Malahide.
While there is still some work ongoing around the complex, the project is on schedule and on budget with O'Neill giving a glowing recommendation following the first training session and a tour of the facility.
Along with international teams using the FAI National Training Centre, it will also host coaching and refereeing education programmes, FAI Emerging Talent programmes, and D.D.S.L. will also have access.
- Work on the site commenced in March 2014 and is due to be completed in October 2015
- There are six full-size pitches (five grass, one artificial) with Philips Floodlighting, and a specialised goalkeeping training area
- The pitches were overseen by Clive Richardson Ltd, who worked on the pitches in the Aviva Stadium and Croke Park
- On site is a modern pavilion which houses four changing rooms, a lecture theatre, a classroom, and a fully-equipped kitchen area
- The FAI National Training Centre is part of a modernisation project within the National Sports Campus which will also include a National Indoor Arena along with facilities for several national sporting bodies