Turkey 1 - 0 Republic of Ireland
REPORT: Turkey 1-0 Ireland
Turkish captain Mehmet Topal wriggled free of the Irish defence six minutes into the second-half, shooting past goalkeeper Colin Doyle to score the game's only goal.
Manager Martin O’Neill named a largely inexperienced starting side, with Declan Rice and Scott Hogan making their debuts. Preston North End duo Alan Browne and Sean Maguire started for the first time, after making their debuts last year.
O’Neill set his side out in a 3-5-2 formation, with captain Seamus Coleman and James McClean acting as wing-backs.
The home side side had the majority of the majority of possession and chances in the first-half, but it was Ireland who came closest to breaking the deadlock in the opening period.
Midway through the first-half, Jeff Hendrick split the Turkish defence with a pass that saw Hogan run in on goal. The Aston Villa striker was able to pass goalkeeper Volkan Babacan, but saw his shot from an acute angle go wide.
Looking for an equaliser, O’Neill made numerous changes, including giving Matt Doherty his debut. The Wolverhampton Wanderers defender replaced captain Seamus Coleman, who returned to international action for the first time in almost a year.
In the final stages, James McClean and Shane Long had chances to score, but were unable to take advantage, as the home side won for a third time in 14 matches between the sides.
Ireland return to action in just over two months time. They travel to the Stade de France on May 28th to play France.
Turkey: Volkan Babacan; Gokhan Gonul, Serdar Aziz (Kaan Ayhan 82), Caglar Soyuncu, Hasan Ali Kaldirim; Mehmet Topal (capt), Okay Yokuslu; Yusuf Yazici (Alper Potuk 87), Emre Akbaba (Yunus Malli 69), Hakan Calhanoglu (Irfan Can Kahveci 80); Cenk Tosun (Enes Unal 64).
Republic of Ireland: Colin Doyle; Shane Duffy, Declan Rice, Kevin Long; Seamus Coleman (capt) (Matt Doherty 63), Conor Hourihane (Ciaran Clark 68), Alan Browne (David Meyler 69), Jeff Hendrick (Alan Judge 80), James McClean; Scott Hogan (Daryl Horgan 75), Sean Maguire (Shane Long 62).
Referee: Slavko Vincic (Slovenia)
- 1 Volkan Babacan (G)
- 4 Serdar Aziz
- 7 Gökhan Gönül
- 3 Hasan Ali Kaldırım
- 13 Çağlar Söyüncü
- 15 Mehmet Topal
- 5 Okay Yokuşlu
- 10 Hakan Çalhanoğlu
- 18 Emre Akbaba
- 11 Yusuf Yazıcı
- 9 Cenk Tosun
- 16 Enes Ünal
- 19 Yunus Mallı
- 21 İrfan Kahveci
- 22 Kaan Ayhan
- 20 Alper Potuk
Minute by Minute Commentary
- 52" Mehmet Topal (Turkey) scores!
- 62" Shane Long (in) - Seán Maguire (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 63" Matthew Doherty (in) - Seamus Coleman (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 64" Enes Ünal (in) - Cenk Tosun (out) (Turkey)
- 68" David Meyler (in) - Alan Browne (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 69" Yunus Mallı (in) - Emre Akbaba (out) (Turkey)
- 69" Ciaran Clark (in) - Conor Hourihane (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 75" Daryl Horgan (in) - Scott Hogan (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 80" İrfan Kahveci (in) - Hakan Çalhanoğlu (out) (Turkey)
- 80" Alan Judge (in) - Jeff Hendrick (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 82" Kaan Ayhan (in) - Serdar Aziz (out) (Turkey)
- 87" Alper Potuk (in) - Yusuf Yazıcı (out) (Turkey)
- Republic of Ireland
Shots on Target
Republic of Ireland
- 0Yellow Card(s)0
- 0Red Card(s)0
- 1Shots on Goal0
- 0Shots Wide0
- 0Shot(s) Blocked0
- 1Total Shots0
- 0Fouls Committed0