0 - 0
REPORT: Ireland undone by Mexico in New Jersey
It was a night for change as Ireland set up in a 3-5-2 formation, handed first starts to Daryl Horgan and Callum O’Dowda, and gave debuts to Kevin Long and Alan Browne.
In front of a crowd of 42.017 spectators – many of whom were travelling Irish or American-based Irish supporters – watched Mexico maintain their unbeaten record over Ireland, which now extends to five games.
Mexico took the lead on 16 minutes when winger Jesus Manuel Corona cut inside from the left flank onto his right foot and curled a shot past goalkeeper Darren Randolph.
On 25 minutes, El Tri got their second goal – this time from the penalty spot. Raul Jimenez took responsibility after Carlos Vela was fouled and he fired in.
Ireland responded with some bright spells as Cyrus Christie went close with an effort, while Daryl Horgan and McClean flashed shots wide of the goal.
Vela got Mexico’s third goal on 54 minutes when he found himself in the right place at the back post after Randolph’s superb save from Oribe Peralta made its way across goal.
Substitute Stephen Gleeson pulled one back on 77 minutes when he followed in a McClean cross and smashed in the rebound from close range.
Ireland will now turn their attention to the ‘Three’ International Friendly against Uruguay on Sunday, June 4 in Aviva Stadium.
Republic of Ireland: Randolph; Christie (Browne 73), Keogh, Duffy, Egan (Long 64), McClean; Horgan (Gleeson 73), Hourihane (O’Kane 64), O’Dowda; Murphy (Hoolahan 64), McGoldrick.
Mexico: Cota; Salcedo (Layun h-t), Reyes, Moreno (Alanis h-t), Gallardo; Vela (Marquez 68), Herrera (Peralta h-t), Jorge Hernandez, J Dos Santos (Pineda 58), Corona (Aquino 58); Jimenez.
Referee: Ted Unkel.
MNT: Mexico v Ireland Match-Day Information
Box office is open at MetLife Stadium from 11am with gates opening at 18:30
There are still some tickets available. Click here for further information
Safety & Security
Supporters travelling to MetLife Stadium are advised to arrive at least one hour ahead of kick-off to get through security and they are reminded to bring photo I.D. with them
There is a strict stadium bag policy. For more information click here
For all breaking news including the exclusive announcement of the Republic of Ireland starting XI and behind-the-scenes content, follow our official Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts
eir Sport 2 will broadcast live coverage of the game from 1:30am (Irish time)
50-cap club set to welcome newest member
Republic of Ireland squad
Goalkeepers: Colin Doyle, Darren Randolph
Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Alex Pearce, Richard Keogh, Shane Duffy, Andy Boyle, Kevin Long, John Egan
Midfielders: Eunan O'Kane, Alan Browne, Daryl Horgan, Conor Hourihane, Wes Hoolahan, Stephen Gleeson, Callum O'Dowda, James McClean
Forwards: David McGoldrick, Daryl Murphy
International Friendly Match
Mexico v Republic of Ireland
MetLife Stadium, KO 20:30 (local time)
Referee: Ted Unkel.
- 1 Rodolfo Cota (G)
- 15 Héctor Moreno
- 5 Diego Reyes
- 3 Carlos Salcido
- 22 Hernández Jorge
- 16 Héctor Herrera
- 6 Jonathan dos Santos
- 23 Jesus Gallardo
- 11 Carlos Vela
- 17 Jesús Corona
- 9 Raúl Jiménez
- 7 Miguel Layún
- 2 Oswaldo Alanis
- 19 Oribe Peralta
- 10 Orbelin Pineda
- 20 Javier Aquino
- 4 Rafael Márquez
Minute by Minute Commentary
- 16" Jesús Corona (Mexico) scores!
- 21" Carlos Salcido (Mexico) is cautioned by the referee.
- 24" James McClean (Republic of Ireland) is shown a yellow card.
- 25" Raúl Jiménez (Mexico) scores from the penalty spot.
- 46" Miguel Layún (in) - Carlos Salcido (out) (Mexico)
- 46" Oswaldo Alanis (in) - Héctor Moreno (out) (Mexico)
- 46" Oribe Peralta (in) - Héctor Herrera (out) (Mexico)
- 54" Carlos Vela (Mexico) scores!
- 58" Orbelin Pineda (in) - Jonathan dos Santos (out) (Mexico)
- 58" Javier Aquino (in) - Jesús Corona (out) (Mexico)
- 64" Eunan O'Kane (in) - Conor Hourihane (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 64" Kevin Long (in) - John Egan (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 64" Wes Hoolahan (in) - Daryl Murphy (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 68" Rafael Márquez (in) - Carlos Vela (out) (Mexico)
- 73" Alan Browne (in) - Cyrus Christie (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 73" Stephen Gleeson (in) - Daryl Horgan (out) (Republic of Ireland)
- 76" Stephen Gleeson (Republic of Ireland) scores!